Re: [xml-dev] Recommendation for XSLT book?

At 2013-06-16 14:36 +0200, =?KOI8-R?B?z8zYx8Egy9LZ1sHOz9fTy8HR?= wrote:
>Can any one recommend a programmers book for learning XSLT?
>
>Olga

I have a number of options for you as I've written an in-depth,
hands-on XSLT and XPath training class:

   Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath
   - covering every element, every attribute and every function
     of XSLT and XPath versions 1.0 and 2.0, used in creating
     new transformations of existing structured information

The materials are written in XML and I use XSLT and XSL-FO to produce
a number of different products from that single source of content ...
choose the product to best meet your needs ... some of the options are free:

(1) - 5 hours of free streaming video lecture introducing XSLT/XPath
       versions 1 and 2 (scroll down the page and you'll see a
       number of lectures marked as "free"; you do not need to have
       a Udemy account in order to view the free content):

       http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/links/udemy-ptux-online.htm

(2) - 24 hours of paid streaming video lecture overviewing every
       element, every attribute and every function of XSLT/XPath
       versions 1 and 2, with hands-on exercises (one-time fee for
       perpetual access by one person):

       http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/links/udemy-ptux-online.htm

(3) - 24 hours of DVD-ROM overviewing every element, every attribute
       and every function of XSLT/XPath versions 1 and 2 with hands-on
       exercises (the same as the streaming video, but the DVD can be
       shared (not copied) amongst many people):

       http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/training/ptux/ptux-video.htm

(4) - a paid license to mount the DVD-ROM class on a private server with
       unlimited access to either a geographic area or worldwide:

       http://store.kagi.com/cgi-bin/store.cgi?storeID=U48_LIVE&&#ptux-video

(5) - a free PDF book version of the class without hands-on exercises,
       in its complete form as a 2-slides-per-page presentation without
       hyperlinked content ... offered as a "try-and-buy download" (I
       expect people to delete the book if they decide they aren't going
       to buy the paid version)

       http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/training/#ptux

(6) - the paid version of the PDF book licensed for either individual
       use, geographic area download or worldwide download, with
       hyperlinked content (for those who find the free PDF useful)

       http://store.kagi.com/cgi-bin/store.cgi?storeID=U48_LIVE&&#ptux

(7) - I have the privilege of traveling the world teaching XSLT/XPath
       and can give you a quote on coming on-site to your organization
       to teach the class, or perhaps you can organize a local XML
       user group to bring me in to teach a class:

       Syllabus:
         http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/training/ptux/ptuxsyl.htm
       Past history (over 100 deliveries of the content worldwide):
         http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/training/pastsch.htm#ptux
         http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/training/pastsch.htm#i2xslt

       The DVD-ROM and video streaming is a 2008 recording of the class
       that I now teach on-site.  Five years later I describe some of the
       concepts differently based on feedback I've received from students
       over the years.

Note that I have PDF books and on-site training classes (but not
DVD-ROM or streaming video) of classes on other XML subjects:

   Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO
   - covering every formatting object of XSL-FO 1.0 and 1.1; used
     in creating printed renditions and PDF files from XML documents
     http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/training/pfux/pfuxsyl.htm

   Practical Universal Business Language Deployment
   - for understanding the artefacts published for OASIS UBL 2.1 and
     practice in the application of the models and XSD schema files
   - for understanding the artefacts published for OASIS UBL and to
     configure customized subsets of UBL for a particular customization
     http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/training/publd/publdsyl.htm

   Practical Code List Implementation
   - for business vocabularies and any vocabulary design that requires
     flexible implementation of code lists without changing schema files
     (this will be of interest to UBL users as this technique is used in
     the UBL committee for the definition and application of code lists)
     http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/training/pcli/pclisyl.htm

With the free streaming and free PDF of the book I hope people will
be convinced by what they see to go for the paid content.  I gather
that many people abuse the "try and buy" scenario for the PDF book,
but there isn't much I can do about that.  I want people to convince
themselves about the quality of the content.

I hope this helps you and readers of the archive.

Free 5-hour lecture: http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/links/udemy.htm |
Crane Softwrights Ltd.            http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/x/ |
G. Ken Holman                   mailto:gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com |
Google+ profile: https://plus.google.com/116832879756988317389/about |