Re: [xml-dev] Enhanced Control using Fine-Grain Validation

In fairness, your first sentence needs qualifying

>When an XML instance document is validated against an XML Schema, the validator returns valid or invalid.

That might be the way many schema validators behave, but it's not what the specification says. The specification says that the validator returns a PSVI, in which individual nodes are annotated with a number of properties, including the type against which validation was attempted, and whether or not validation of each node was successful. What you are doing is trying to get a little bit closer to that concept "by hand" in the absence of tools that do what the spec says they should do.

There are couple of major limitations in your approach:

(a) it only works for validation against simple types (because of the reliance on "castable as")

(b) your stylesheet decides which types to use for validating each element, rather than getting this information from the schema.

I think this can be improved in the presence of XSLT 3.0 try/catch. As a first cut, you can do something like

<xsl:template match="*">
  <xsl:try>
    <xsl:copy validation="lax">
     <xsl:copy-of select="@*"/>
     <xsl:apply-templates/>
   </xsl:copy>
   <xsl:catch>
    <xsl:copy>
      <xsl:attribute name="invalid" select="true()"/>
     <xsl:copy-of select="@*"/>
     <xsl:apply-templates/>
   </xsl:copy>
 </xsl:try>
</xsl:template>

This will produce a copy of your document in which valid elements have the appropriate type annotation, and invalid elements are (a) labelled as xs:untyped, and (b) have the attribute invalid="true".

You could extend this by replacing the xsl:catch block with say xsl:apply-templates mode="repair", and including repair rules for specific elements in this mode.

One limitation is that all elements are validated against global element declarations in the schema, which doesn't take account of the fact that the schema might include context sensitive (local) validation rules for some element names.

Michael Kay
Saxonica