Re: [xml-dev] Memorable quotes from Balisage 2013

On 8/9/13 5:35 PM, Costello, Roger L. wrote:
> 3. The value of open source has been oversold. Proprietary is about
> taking responsibility of the product (contrast with open source,
> where no one takes responsibility).

I didn't hear this message at this show at all.

The closest I heard to that was in this talk:

<http://www.balisage.net/Proceedings/vol10/html/Patterson01/BalisageVol10-Patterson01.html>

Though brief, that was more an exploration of how the XML ecosystem has
a whole has stalled relative to the surrounding ecosystems.  Much of
that conversation was about open source, but it certainly wasn't about
open source failing so much as the XML community dwindling.

It is entirely possible that this came up in conversations or talks I
wasn't in, but the concerns I heard about the XML software ecosystem
were about its _overall_ health.

Despite the presence of a few active vendors (oXygen and Antenna House,
both of whom seemed very well-received), development in absolute terms
has slowed, and compared to say the web ecosystem it has halted.

> 13. People value things they pay for.

Again, I got something different: People value things that work, with a
minimum of time invested.  That seemed to be a recurring theme.

Thanks,
--
Simon St.Laurent
http://simonstl.com/