Re: [xml-dev] Topics of keen interest to me ... how about you?

Original Message From: "John Cowan"
> On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 9:21 AM, Bill Kearney wrote:

>> And just how would the UI have been any better?  Give the limits of the
>> tech at the time.
>>
> The problem with phones is the assignment of arbitrary digit strings
> rather
> than meaningful letter strings.  That was not significantly
> technology-bound.

The rotary dial of early phones was very tightly coupled with the operation
and routing of the early Strowger exchanges.  A rotary dial containing the
full ASCII set would have been an impressive beast (and wouldn't have
satisfied the Germans, although Mr Strowger might not have been too bothered
by that)!  And probably overkill when numbers were of the form "Cricklewood
243".

Interestingly now we hide phone numbers and e-mail addresses inside our
address books and don't really see either on a day-to-day basis.  And I
agree with Mike Kay that populating your address book with a phone number is
just as easy as with an email address.

And some of us do remember numbers better than we do words.  I can remember
the credit card number I had a university, which was a while ago now!

Pete Cordell
Codalogic Ltd
C++ tools for C++ programmers, http://codalogic.com
Read & write XML in C++, http://www.xml2cpp.com
> And just how would the UI have been any better?  Give the limits of the
> tech at the time.

The problem with phones is the assignment of arbitrary digit strings rather
than meaningful letter strings.  That was not significantly
technology-bound.

> Please tell me you’re not that stupid.
>

>  **

 My friends have done it for me.

--
GMail doesn't have rotating .sigs, but you can see mine at
http://www.ccil.org/~cowan/signatures