RE: [xml-dev] XPath and a continuous, uniform information space

I suspect your estimate is as close as any, that there are few  , percentage-wise, installations of enterprise XML data stores, compared to relational ...

but this has nothing to do with XML (IMHO).  It has to do with the head-start in time (30 years ?) relational DBs have over XML Databases.

At one point Oracle was a small company too ...

It also has to do with the fact that XML is useful *without* a database whereas relational data is practically useless without a database.

So the wall you hit with usefulness using data without a database is hit much sooner with relational data then with XML so the only place you see

relational data is in a database.    So yes most enterprise databases (and non-enterprise databases) are RDBMS today.

But XML *is* in very large enterprise data centers and works very well there.

So I disagree with the assertion that its

    " almost always out of the questions to migrate large-scale enterprise data from relational databases to XML"

If it is out of the question its an install base or educational (we already own / hired RDBMS xxx) issue not a technical one.

David A. Lee

dlee@calldei.com

http://www.xmlsh.org