Re: [xml-dev] XPath and a continuous, uniform information space

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 3:18 PM, Costello, Roger L. <costello@mitre.org> wrote:

> Wouldn't it be cool to have a continuous, uniform information space that extends beyond the borders of XML, to all text-based data formats (JSON, CSV, email, etc.)? We can! That is one part of Hans' paper.

Well, if we use "invisible XML" tools as described in the Balisage
2013 paper by Steven Pemberton   (
http://www.balisage.net/Proceedings/vol10/html/Pemberton01/BalisageVol10-Pemberton01.html
)

then we have achieved "world domination" -- our "infospace" covers any data.

While this seems like grandiose architecture, I personally find it
too-general to be particularly useful.

On another related topic, besides static data, there can be dynamic
data -- which is constantly being produced and its end isn't yet there
-- think of a data stream.

One cannot prove that this data is a well-formed XML document or not
-- so this type of data isn't either inside the infospace or outside
of the infospace ...

What is important is that such data exists and has meaning in any
small locality -- so it is meaningful and important.

Remarkably, we are able -- even in XSLT 3.0 to process and make use of
such data.

--
Cheers,
Dimitre Novatchev