Re: [xml-dev] XPath and a continuous, uniform information space

On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 at 8:44 AM, David Lee <dlee@calldei.com> wrote:

My read is that in both these cases ( document ordering and sibling access) that you would only have access to the information if you had a reference to the parent (or sequence).

Correct.

Sequence order :

sequence [ A ,  1 , B , 2 ]

Given the sequence we know the order A,1,B,2

But given just the "B"  (say it is passed to a function) ... I dont think it would have a sibling axis like

  function x( B ) {

    B/previous-sibling::

}

x(  sequence[ 3 ] )

---- > how does fucntion x work ? I dont think it can.

No, it can't.  This is easy to see if you pass sequence[2] instead:  what could 1/previous-sibling:: possibly mean?  In Ftan, elements are just as much pure values as numbers are.

    <child1  [ A, B  ] >

   <child2   [ C , D ] >

<root>

         create a sequence   [  child2/D , child1/A ]

         Order it in document order .... [ CRASH ]  ... I dont think you can because A and D dont have reference to their parents so dont know which come first when pulled out of the tree.

Right.

--
GMail doesn't have rotating .sigs, but you can see mine at http://www.ccil.org/~cowan/signatures