Re: [xml-dev] Do you enjoy neighborhoods where every house looksthe same?

On 8/28/13 9:08 AM, Costello, Roger L. wrote:
> Infinite replication is lousy, especially if it's replication of
> something that doesn't fit anyone well.
>
> Forcing everyone to use the same XML vocabulary to describe different
> use cases is really bad.
>
> I suggest for your consideration the following approach to designing
> XML Schemas: create an XML Schema that contains a smorgasbord of
> well-defined, semantically-rich elements. Then, work with your users
> to create XML instances by picking and choosing elements that are
> meaningful to their specific needs.

This is a great place to start - certainly an improvement over too much
existing practice.

The challenges go deeper, though.  Even that "smorgasbord of
well-defined semantically rich elements" brings its own issues:

---------------------------------------
     Today's systems of housing production almost all rely, in one form
or another, on standardized building components. These components may be
very small (electrical boxes, for instance), or intermediate (2x4
studs), or very large (precast concrete rooms); but regardless of their
size, buildings are understood to be assembled out of these components.
In this sense then, the actual construction phase of the housing
production process has become an assembly phase: an occasion where
prefabricated components are assembled, on site, to produce the complete
houses.

     It has been little understood how vast the effect of this has been
on housing: how enormous the degree of control achieved,
unintentionally, by these components and the demands of their assembly.
Yet, as anyone who has intimate knowledge of building knows, these
components are merciless in their demands. They control the arrangement
of details. They prohibit variation. They are inflexible with respect to
ornament, or whimsy, or humor, or any little human touch a person might
like to make."

     — Christopher Alexander, _The Production of Houses_, page 220.

Issues like these - which I think Ruskin describes differently as he
dealt in his age more with standardized design than standardized parts -
bring the "sameness" issues all the way down to the edges of the
document tree.

Thanks,
--
Simon St.Laurent