Gothic definitions (was Re: [xml-dev] Re: Markup, an abstraction)

On 8/29/13 10:48 AM, Peter Hunsberger wrote:
> Well I believe those two time periods overlapped? Either way it seems
> the existence of a renaissance Goth should be possible.  However, trying
> to reconcile that with the modern co-opting of the term Goth makes my
> head hurt, so I won't insist on you adopting the moniker...

The word has too many meanings.  There's a roughly continuous thread of
attractive with/because of a dose of the repulsive, but it's hard to pin

A good place to start is:

My usage fits in his Chapter 10, "The Gothic Dream", but I get a strong
sense that Nick Groom (the author) has the least sympathy for that use.
  In Ruskin's use, there's a sharp contrast with the Renaissance and its
idealization of classical models.

 From a different (Japanese) cultural background, but with intriguing
parallels, take a look at Wabi-Sabi for Artists, Designers, Poets, &

Yes, the author of that also ran _WET: The Magazine of Gourmet Bathing_,
but there's still a lot there worth contemplating.

Sorry to mix "gourmet bathing" with "Markup, an abstraction".

Simon St.Laurent