Re: [xml-dev] XML Schema as a data modeling tool

First of all, +1 for everything Michael has said on this subject. (Although, you can usually take that as a given.)

Perhaps another way of looking at what Michael is saying is that it is the difference between "X contains a Y" and "X has a Y" - for example, an Address can be considered to "contain" a Street - the Street is intrinsic to the Address; however, a Person "has" an Address - there is a relationship there, but the former does not contain the latter in any meaningful sense.

Hierarchical models better suit "contains" relationships, but the real world is full of "has" relationships, which are more naturally described by network models.

Cheers,

Damian

--

MOSO Xmplify XML Editor - Xmplary XML for Mac OS X

w: http://xmplifyapp.com
t: @xmplify