Re: [xml-dev] Namespace Mistake?

On the whole, I think that there is a degree of consensus that changing namespaces when there is a minor change to a vocabulary is a bad idea. It creates too many difficulties for people writing code that has to process more than one version. Using a version attribute in the instance document works better.

But having made that mistake, I don't think it makes a great deal of difference whether you use the same prefix or different prefixes. Obviously if the same query references both namespaces then it will have to refer to them by different prefixes.

If you use software that is not namespace-aware (or not XML-aware) to process the documents, then using the same prefix may help, since you will be searching on prefixes rather than URIs. But I would hope you aren't doing that...

Michael Kay
Saxonica