Re: [xml-dev] The JSON Data Interchange Format (ECMA standard, October 2013)

> Finally, since JSON is reality, why not use the power of XQuery on
> processing it by JSONiq?

Because of the impedence mismatch. Query languages and data models go hand-in-glove. In XDM a string is the same thing as a list containing a single string, in the JSON model it isn't. Papering over that crack is remarkably difficult, because it turns out that the whole semantics of FLWOR expressions depend on that assumption. We've spent about three years trying to solve that one, without much success.

(In my FtanML paper at Balisage I took a different approach: new data model, new query language).

Michael Kay
Saxonica