I agree on this, it does have a place and that is communication with other programmers. It's possible to embed images into Javadoc for example, adding UML diagrams to illustrate intended use scenarios seems to me like a modern form of 'literate programming'.

UML, other than class and sequence diagrams on a white board perhaps, seems not so useful for communicating with domain experts. The idea of a Model Driven Architecture seems attractive, but if MDA is so great why don't we have Executable UML I wondered. I bought a book on that subject and found it far less comprehensible as a development process than just writing code.

So, use UML as an extension of the modelling capabilities of OO languages IMO, not the other way around.  I am interested in the approach taken with the Eclipse Modelling Foundation in this respect.

On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 1:18 AM, Pete Cordell <petexmldev@codalogic.com> wrote:
I think this idea that people design software and compilers build it is a very important one.  While on the topic of paradigm shifts I believe we should see ourselves as working in the person-to-person communication business rather than as writers of computer code.  Given a problem, our job is to describe how to solve it in a 'formal' way that just happens to be a programming language.  The fact that the code runs should be treated as almost incidental and is just a way of validating that our description is correct.  That's because, for any non-trivial project, we are writing code that must be read and understood by other, human, coders and the better we target the coders as the audience the more chance our overall system code has of working correctly.

That's one of the reasons I like the TDD approach.  Not only does it 'close the loop' in the good-old engineering way, but well written tests demonstrate examples of how the code should be used, which is often far more valuable that the likes of what javadoc and co. can extract.

As for UML, I think it has a place, but the code should be generating UML rather than UML generating code IMO.

Pete Cordell
Codalogic Ltd
C++ tools for C++ programmers, http://codalogic.com
Read & write XML in C++, http://www.xml2cpp.com
----- Original Message ----- From: "Stephen Cameron" <steve.cameron.62@gmail.com>
To: "Michael Sokolov" <sokolov@falutin.net>
Cc: "Kurt Cagle" <kurt.cagle@gmail.com>; "Thomas Passin" <list1@tompassin.net>; <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
Sent: Monday, December 02, 2013 7:58 AM

Subject: Re: [xml-dev] Re: XML As Fall Guy

This is the paper that got me thinking of "code as design" and seeing UML
in a new light

http://www.developerdotstar.com/mag/articles/reeves_design_main.html

On Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 6:09 PM, Stephen Cameron
<steve.cameron.62@gmail.com>wrote:

Hi Mike,

I think you are getting to the heart of it, but the analogy I like is
making a movie, the final result is very open-ended and coordinating the
activity of getting a result very complex, also, whether the end result is
a success is very much dependant on intimate knowledge of the humans who
will view (use) the outcome.

I think we have to abandon the idea of a design and an implementation
phase, its all basically design, I'd even go so far as to abandon UML as a
design tool, to the extent that its use is premised on this separation.
Building and testing prototypes seems to me to be the means to 'explore'
the space of possible solutions.

This also seems very relevant.

http://www.computer.org/csdl/proceedings/hicss/2013/4892/00/4892e842-abs.html
http://www.computer.org/csdl/proceedings/hicss/2013/4892/00/4892e842.pdf