Re: [xml-dev] Re: XML As Fall Guy

On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 10:04 AM, Kurt Cagle <kurt.cagle@gmail.com> wrote:

On Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 2:55 PM, Stephen Cameron <steve.cameron.62@gmail.com> wrote:
Maybe a failure is actually necessary to be able to acknowledge these facts and then that failure contains the seeds of success in a second attempt. The failure becomes a discarded prototype. What is perhaps worse is something that is "made to work" because of costs already committed, but which then is a nightmare for ongoing refinement (maintenance is a bad term from waterfall). This is what Domain Driven Design is aimed specifically at preventing I understand.

Stephen,

I think there's something profound in this statement. Not all prototypes are successful. Occasionally you will have an Edsel moment, when despite the good intentions of everyone involved you produce a clunker. In a prototype-centered world, you swear a blue-streak when that happens, pick up the pieces, and figure out what went wrong (almost invariably because deep assumptions you made were erroneous). In many respects the failures are useful in figuring out what's not working, which successes often mask.

Hi Kurt,

This is my simple experience, I have a few projects lying around unfinished,  I either underestimated complexity or made incorrect assumptions, I now prefer to think of them as prototypes as it makes me feel better about the effort expended!

In an ideal world we would 'change direction' early, rather than 'pick up the pieces'.

Kurt Cagle
Invited Expert, XForms Working Group, W3C
Managing Editor, XMLToday.org