Re: [xml-dev] XML vocabulary for expressing constraints?

On Thu, 2013-12-12 at 22:53 -0500, Michael Sokolov wrote:
> On 12/12/13 10:32 PM, Liam R E Quin wrote:
> > On Thu, 2013-12-12 at 11:58 -0500, Steve Newcomb wrote:
> >
> >> In my view, what SGML never had, and XML still doesn't have, is a
> >> mechanism for disclosing the semantic intent of a document address.
> >> When I mention an address, what am I talking about?  In the absence of a
> >> characterization of intent, it's extremely ambiguous.
> > +1
> >
> > I don't believe that "HTTP Range" cuts it, as putting # on the end of a
> > URI is not out-of-band, and still only gives two options (the resource
> > itself or the resource as a surrogate).
> >
> > At one time I hoped topic maps would give us more of this.
> >
> > Liam
> >
> HTML has it though: it's the content of the A tag.

Well, in a way you're right in that what HTML uses does go inside the
start tag for the "a" element - it's the rel and rev attributes, not the
content of the link.

But in neither case does HTML distinguish between referring to Liam
Quin, or to Liam Quin's home page, or to a picture of Liam Quin, in a
machine-readable way.

Liam