Re: [xml-dev] XML attributes are weird

On 12/21/13 4:11 PM, Michael Kay wrote:
Attributes betray the origins of XML as a document markup language.
The text nodes contain the content, the attributes contain the
information used for formatting the text.
This is broadly right. I'm not sure that "betray" is the right word, and I wouldn't limit it to formatting. However, the presence of additional information within the element structure certainly makes it easier to annotate a flow of text without having to modify the original flow.

For a language designed for data interchange, the attribute/element
split would be nonsense. But for a document markup language, it makes
eminent sense.
Yes. I can imagine cases where the attribute/element split could be useful for data, but they are, well, more fanciful, mostly about annotation after other patterns of use are established.

Thanks,
--
Simon St.Laurent
http://simonstl.com/