RE: [xml-dev] Which is the Authority: The Schema or the Text?

Steve sez:  "Len, I think you're arguing in favor of the rule of law."

I'm in favor of burgers after the gig. OTOH, I need stable blood sugar.

Consistency or appetite?  Data are burgers.

XML transactions have to adapt to data on the fly and rejection is
adaptation as are other less draconian measures.  The appetite determines
that.  Data can be consistent or it can change. The appetite for change
consumes hours the budget.  If it is consistent, machines do most of the
work.  Production consumes the budget. If it has an appetite, humans are in
the loops and if so, be sure they understand that trade-off.  The greater
the appetite for ignorance of the technology, the slower and more complex
are the processes consuming budget.

OTW, XML transactions are easy to adapt given knowledge of the tools and the
concepts of schena/stylesheet design.

*Off topic:  should schemas and style sheets be the same thing?

Law is never static where appetites are changing and if they are changing
fast, consistency of the means is the palliative.  Rule of law is the rule
of men adjudicated by means which if not reliable, are pathogenic.

len