Web Application Development is Different (and Better)

For those who wonder why I've championed that bastard child of SGML all these years, when it's obvious that Web technology isn't as shiny smart as XML:

<http://programming.oreilly.com/2014/01/web-application-development-is-different-and-better.html>

Eventually I need to write a "Why XML Bounced Off the Web" piece, but this wasn't the time for it.

If you prefer short form, this is a quick summary from another mailing list conversation:

I disagree about the infancy. The Web's a pretty hardened young adult. Unlike most technology platforms, it's had to deal with a diverse and cranky set of constituencies. It's also had to deal with a wildly varying set of implementations across multiple platforms.

It may look immature to environments that have led coddled lives, but those very cuts have bred practices that let us achieve miracles every day.

Thanks,
--
Simon St.Laurent
http://simonstl.com/