Re: [xml-dev] ID/IDREF is evil

Roger,

How, exactly, does your proposed additional constraint actually
facilitate communication?

Or perhaps you believe XML has some purpose other than communication?

You recommend taking a cue from the lore of compiler construction.
But compilers are not focused on communication; their only purpose is to
*facilitate control over processes*.  Do you really feel that XML's
primary purpose is to facilitate control over processes?  I'm finding it
hard to believe that that's what you really think.

You seem to be saying that, whatever the purpose of XML might be, the
exploitation of some of its features necessarily impedes progress toward
the fulfillment of that purpose.  In order to convince me of your point,
you must articulate the purpose you think XML is supposed to fulfill.
Right now, I'm finding your point comparable to a claim that human
beings should abandon rice in favor of Rice Krispies in order to avoid
consuming the energy required to boil real rice.

Steve