Re: [xml-dev] parsing markup with Perl

On 2/8/14 11:47 AM, Tony Graham wrote:
On Sat, February 8, 2014 2:20 pm, Michael Kay wrote:
They had unreadable code and it was driving them into the ground. My
takeaway was that Perl as it stood then required infeasibly much
commenting to be maintainable
That Perl, no doubt, but not all Perl.  If you were looking for a general
purpose scripting language in the early 90s, you would have picked Perl; a
few years later, and if you weren't already invested in Perl, you probably
would have picked Python; and now, you'd probably find some reason to use
JavaScript.
Well, now you're on to my secret plan [1], making the entire world use JavaScript. It even dates back to what I think was my very first post here:

<http://lists.xml.org/archives/xml-dev/199710/msg00128.html>

Interesting to see Rasmus Lerdorf of PHP fame turn up in that long-ago thread.

Soften them up with Perl, let them ponder PHP and maybe even enjoy Python, then drive them into JavaScript. (Or Elixir, my other current favorite but in a very different direction. Of course, the Elixir folks are currently debating whether or not to include JSON in their standard library.)

[1] - Well, kinda sorta. <http://programming.oreilly.com/2013/04/will-javascript-take-over-the-programming-world.html>

Thanks,
--
Simon St.Laurent