Re: [xml-dev] parsing markup with Perl

Ihe Onwuka wrote:
"Stating the obvious here but it needs to be repeated lest we are all labelled Perl haters. Markup is not text."

Rarely have I found a posting so short and so true, or rather: so profound. It is a question of perception.

And 95% of all debate about the "value" of XML is rooted in differences of perception. XML may be perceived as text. XML may be perceived as markup. XML may be perceived as nodes represented via syntax. XML may be perceived as a global forest of nodes (the info space).

And there are other axes along which to travel: XML may be perceived as a means to markup information. XML may be perceived as a means for information interchange. XML may be perceived as a representation of information. XML may be perceived as information.

Etc.

Hans-Jürgen