Re: [xml-dev] The real world doesn't have an "other xyz", neither should your XML

> In the real world there is no "other" component: When was the last time you drove an "other car" or purchased an "other vegetable"?

I beg to differ. If you attempt to produce a list of car makes and models, there will be someone who drives a car that is not on that list.

Ditto for vegetables (do you really imagine any programmer is capable of producing a complete list of edible vegetables??).

Most attempts to categorize things in the real world are incomplete.

If you ask someone their country of birth, and offer a drop-down list, you'll almost certainly omit that country somewhere in the Balkans that existed for 3 months in 1926.

If you don't offer an "other" option, you are asking people to tell lies.

Michael Kay
Saxonica