Re: [xml-dev] Is a collection of independent, unrestricted elementdefinitions a "data exchange format"?

If you ask me, you've got a loosely defined data exchange format.  I'd hesitate to call it a data model since it doesn't model anything in particular. However, that's not necessarily a bad thing in my book...  Among other places, I've recently I've seen some explicit calls for very loosely constrained data exchange formats in parts of the "big data" world.  That might be vendor drive in some cases, at least part of the thinking is something along the lines that if we can build a generic way of getting the data back and forth we can use big data analysis to figure out what it means. Other than possibly duplicating the effort of analysing  and classifying the data on multiple systems I personally prefer the loosely coupled approach over trying to build highly constrained (and possibly brittle) data exchange formats.

Peter Hunsberger