RE: [xml-dev] Grand Challenge: the same query, independent of howdata relationships are modeled

Michael Kay wrote:

	You can encapsulate all three mechanisms
	behind a function (or two functions, one for
	each direction of the relationship).

What do you mean by "function"?

Do you mean a user-defined XPath function?

How would such a user-defined function work? Would one have to provide it some indication of the relationship? For example,

	Hey function, give me the Title of the Book
	written by Richard Bach, where the Title is
	contained within Book (or the Title is referenced
	by an intra-document link, or the Title is
	referenced by a cross-document link).

Is that what you mean? If yes, would you sketch out such a user-defined XPath function please?

/Roger