Re: [xml-dev] DTDs Only Smell Funny

@Michael: True. The first job is to expand them and have a reference copy for human consumption next to the formal copy for formal proofs. OTW, not terrible but pattern facets make it possible to catch the now familiar common mistakes; so this time I am happy to use XSD as this is the first application I've worked that makes heavy use of attributes for critical data. The data module codes present interesting advantages and challenges in that a language that is self-descriptive in the way it handles resources to generate identifiers is actually quite good at getting around the "blind" alleyways so often discussed on this list. Many problems are better solved with superior language design and smarter monkeys. I debated in the beginning of the project if the specificity of 40051 and 24784 were superior to the generality of S1000D and I'm coming to appreciate the latter as more requirements for compose-on-demand show up in the queue.

@henry: Thanks. That would be nice but I'm stuck with ArborText 5.3 Windows 7 for the duration and am informed no upgrades are contemplated unless they win the next phase of the contract. So the challenge is to work around the lack of a fully implemented X:Include and the fact that AT 5.3 dialogs freeze on Win7. I trick the FOSI with the occurrence attributes and wrote an editor and set of utilities using system.xml to do the tasks I can't get done with AT because of the version/opsys incompatibilities.

Sometimes it helps to be one of the dinosaurs in this trade. :)

len