RE: AW: [xml-dev] RFC for XML Object Parsing

Hans-Juergen,

I believe that you and I are on the same page.  The terminology in these emails that you and I need to parse forces us to parse much slower.  "info-set" seems to be a strange token to me like seeing a "long long" for the first time.  The important thing is not the words but the concepts behind them, likewise this  is not the syntax that my implementation uses but seems to convey the concept very well  (<foo @oid="123"/>)

The first priority is to understand this concept clearly.  Once clearly understood, it becomes clear that you could call this A) a protocol.   B) an application   C) an extension to XML along a similar thought that added ETag into HTTP 1.1

If we call it  B) an implementation.  Now we have two XML's a fast one and a slow one.  A new one and an old one.  The new XML is 100% backwards compatible.  Again - this is all a matter of view.  The important thing is to understand the concept.

I can remember surfing the web in the HTTP 1.0 days.  Every page was a fresh update.  Nothing was cached, not by your ISP, not by your browser - then ETag standardized a way to cache.  That is what the "oid" does for XML in my view.  If we call it an implementation - we must recognize that the ONLY way to implement this application is with a hook into a very low level of an XML parser, as the presence of the "key"/"info-set"/"oid" provides the link to the destination memory where we ultimately need to get the data to.  Without that link - we all have NO choice but to bust all that linear contiguous  XML apart into a fragmented 3D memory structure that we can access to determine what this raw data is and where it needs to go.

This moves XML from a TCP kernel buffer directly to an application layer that displays it on the screen or parses the disk storage format directly to the application layer format.  ALL applications have some application layer format beyond DOM.

Brian