Re: [xml-dev] RE: Make implicit structures explicit

The numbering is helpful, I think, for readability, but only if they are always kept in order, ie redundant. Imagine you had 1000 steps instead of 3. You would like to have numbers then, if you are scanning the document, to get some idea where you are. Also suppose the document became so large that it was too unwieldy for some technology or human to handle, and you needed to break it into many smaller subsequences in separate documents. Then the numbers would help you to reassemble it.

-Mike