Re: [xml-dev] vocabularies for dictionaries

Having worked on a number of dictionary products (including the current OED online - v.3, which is now delivered as XML - the previous one was SGML), I can say that each of them has had a completely idiosyncratic data (tagging) structure.  OED, in particular, encodes a great deal of information that isn't represented in most dictionaries.  And I don't think this is due to sheer perversity, or not-invented-here syndrome.  It's just that different dictionaries encode quite different information.  Are you interested in bilingual dictionaries? Etymology? Examples in current usage? Historical usage?  Linking to other entries via a thesaurus?, etc...

I would advise a simple scheme that aims for a greatest common divisor, and don't plan to model the full complexity of any real existing dictionary in your first version.

-Mike