Re: [xml-dev] XML-formatted data is in a perfect form forhumancomprehension

"Costello, Roger L." wrote:

> So the data has been labeled and the structure of the data has been made explicit. XML is a parse tree!

No. A parsed XML document yields a parse tree. This distinction is fundamental. A different parse of the same document under different conditions yields a
different parse tree--a MEASURABLY different parse tree, not just the 'same' parse tree with a different 'identity'. As Len says, it's all about "who owns the
parse".

> Let's recap:
> - The brain processes information as a parse tree

Perhaps. Perhaps not. There is not enough evidence here to compel us to that inference.

> - XML represents information as a parse tree

No. This we can be definite about. XML presents syntactic constructs in documents. What those might represent is for an audience or consumer to determine, from a
particular parse of the document which makes sense to that particular audience. Whether what is represented is presented as a parse tree is an implementation
detail, dependent on what form of syntax a particular audience is prepared to consume.

Respectfully,

Walter Perry