Re: Web site that emits a continuous stream of XML?

On Wednesday, May 21, 2014 09:30:33 Costello, Roger L. wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I am seeking a web site that has this behavior:
>
> 1. I connect to the web site (I enter its URL) and the web site responds by
> sending the start tag of the root element.
>
> 2. A short time later (perhaps a few milliseconds) the web site sends the
> first child element.
>
> 3. A short time later the web site sends the second child element.
>
> 4. The web site continues to send elements, in a continuous, streaming
> fashion.
>
> 5. When I disconnect from the web site, it responds by sending the end tag
> of the root element.
>
> Do you know of any such web site?
>
> /Roger

Roger,

Not a web site, but XMPP protocol works somewhat like that. When you connect,
you send the start tag, the server responds with the start tag of the root
element. Then, you exchange fragments, You can send the close tag of the root
element to close the conversation.

Take a look at http://oreilly.com/catalog/jabber/chapter/ch05.html#t3

For example,

$ nc jabber.org 5222 <<EOF
<stream:stream
    xmlns:stream='http://etherx.jabber.org/streams'
    id='3AFD6862'
    xmlns='jabber:client'
    from='jabber.org'>
EOF
<?xml version='1.0'?><stream:stream xmlns='jabber:client'
xmlns:stream='http://etherx.jabber.org/streams' to='jabber.org'
id='b7b079d16456ce2c'>

--
Nicholas Sushkin, Principal Software Engineer, Manager of IT Operations
Open Finance - Secure, Accurate, Industrial Strength Aggregation