HTML5 and XML: Mending Fences

What: HTML5 and XML: Mending Fences
a Balisage pre-conference 1-day symposium

When: 4 August

Where: Bethesda North Marriott Hotel & Conference Center,
 Bethesda, MD, USA
 (White Flint Metro stop on the Red Line)

HTML5 is taking over the Web. XML and XML-based toolsets are used to
create, manage, interchange, and manipulate much of the content
that is published as HTML5. XMLers and HTML5ers may each find the
other more than a little peculiar; but it is time to get past
our differences and discuss how our differing strengths can be combined
to benefit each other, our users, and the information eco-system as a whole.

Over the years, the competition between these two approaches has led to
animosity and frustration. But both XML and HTML5 are now clearly here
to stay, and with the upcoming standardisation of HTML5 in 2014 it is
now time to take stock and see how both technologies — and both
communities — can coöperate constructively.

Symposium description: http://www.balisage.net/HTML5-XML/index.html
Detailed program: http://www.balisage.net/HTML5-XML/symposiumProgram.html

The symposium program include two opportunities for your participation:

- lightning talks, and
- a Questions and Answer session with Robin Berjon, editor of the
W3C HTML5 specification

Come join the fray! Learn why some are telling us XML is a failure, and
others are rallying support for XML on the Web.

Questions: info@balisage.net
Registration: http://balisage.net/registration.html

Balisage: The Markup Conference 2014          mailto:info@balisage.net
August 5-8, 2014                               http://www.balisage.net
Preconference Symposium: August 4, 2014                +1 301 315 9631