From: Costello, Roger L. [mailto:costello@mitre.org]
Sent: samedi 26 juillet 2014 14:52
To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
Subject: [xml-dev] May a thousand meta-languages flourish

Hi Folks,

I have been using XML a long time. I think it's fabulous.

Recently I have been immersed in JSON. I think it's also fabulous.

Which is better: XML or JSON?

I think that's the wrong question. The right question is: why are they so
fabulous?

XML and JSON are really not so different. They are both meta-languages. That
is, they instruct users: "Create your languages by following this form."

There is no reason to believe that the XML form or the JSON form is the one
divine form.

But, the concept of defining a meta-language and then deriving languages
from it, well, that is a truly divine idea.

XML and JSON should be treated as good meta-languages. That is, they provide
fine examples of how to create languages: define a meta-language first and
then from it create languages.

Are you part of a community that needs to create a collection of languages?
Create a meta-language first and then derive your languages from it.

May a thousand meta-languages flourish.

I welcome your thoughts.

/Roger