Re: [xml-dev] Visualization of XML Data trees

On Mon, 8 Sep 2014 18:25:35 +0000
William Velasquez <wvelasquez@visiontecnologica.com> wrote:

> One of the most common form of visualizing hierarchical data (like that stored in an XML Document) is the Tree View User Interface Control

I'm guessing by the name that you mean in Microsoft Windows applications?

Most programs I use to interact with XML documents have a document interface - consider editing an XHTML document in a tree view vs. with a regular editor.

The "tree" is really just an artifact of the transmission syntax; XML documents are not in general trees (consider an RDF graph in RDF/XML, or XML entities, or ID/IDREF), so using a tree view may or may not be appropriate.

As to what works on a mobile device, trying to cycle through the digit buttons to get letters is much too much work for me to imagine editing XML on a portable telephone, and an ipad or larger can probably work with trees, no?

Less flippantly :), I'm trying to suggest that a generic XML editor makes less sense to me on a mobile device than a content-specific application that happens to read and maybe write XML.

Liam