Re: [xml-dev] tool, library to replace pseudo escaped entities withreal characters

On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 5:16 AM, Gareth Oakes <goakes@gpsl.co> wrote:
>I'm sure someone must have written a nice little python script or
>something similar to do this sometime, anyway I have some XML with
>stuff like
>
><description>PJ&amp;nbsp;72 fra &amp;Ouml;rsj&amp;ouml; Belysning er
>en funktionel lampe&amp;nbsp;som kan justeres efter eget behov.
>Fremstillet af lakeret metal og&amp;nbsp;f&aring;s i mange
>farver.&amp;nbsp;I serien f&amp;aring;s skrivebordslamper, gulvlamper,
>loftslamper.&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;</description>
>
>anyway, rather than sitting down and writing a solution for this
>problem I am supposing someone has written it in the past, and I can
>just use that.

I'm guessing you want the &amp;s to become ampersands? I'm pretty sure the
regular expression /&amp;/&/g would work in most environments.

Could be dangerous because a plain old &amp; would reduce to a WF error after that transform, and those are pretty common. Unless, that is, you know that &amp; has been "psychoescaped" to &amp;amp; . Can't tell from the sample given.

In other words, the problem is underspecified to provide an off-the shelf solution; it depends on knowing the original pattern reliably, so it might indeed be that writing a bit of code is best.

--
Uche Ogbuji                                       http://uche.ogbuji.net
Founding Partner, Zepheira                  http://zepheira.com