Re: [xml-dev] The markup minimalist

On 11/01/2014 06:19 PM, Damian Morris wrote:
I disagree with most blanket rules, but this one especially. Anyone
who’s tried to reconstruct any more than the most simple data model out
of an Apple .plist format - a classic “flat” XML format - will no doubt
agree (or else will surely agree to being an XPath and XSLT junkie!).
I don't think Roger's rules - or anything like them - brought us the plist format.

My (vague not properly cited) understanding on the .plist format is that Apple neither knew much about markup nor cared, and didn't want to put the effort into actually creating formats of any kind. Plists are just a blank translation of a data structure they already had.

I suspect that Roger is assuming - and you make explicit - that the markup creator is _thinking_ about markup. Apple's .plist format seems to be an extreme case of using without thought.

Thanks,
Simon

This, I think, makes more sense:

*The Markup Minimalist Credo:*
*1. Use the minimal amount of markup necessary to effectively
communicate your data.*

Where the key words are

- “effectively” - don’t make more work for anyone, sender or receiver,
than you need to; and
- “communicate” - why make it easy for the sender but ridiculously hard
for the receiver? They’re both rather important parties in any
communication.

Perhaps it can be better summed up this way:

*The Markup Minimalist Credo:*
*1. Don’t blindly follow rules. Think about what you’re doing, and apply
some of your experience and intelligence.*

Cheers,

Damian

On 2 Nov 2014, at 12:32 am, Costello, Roger L. <costello@mitre.org