Re: [xml-dev] The markup minimalist

interesting points,

data modelling is fundamentally hard through space and time (and different hands/concerns).

I think many of Roger's 'rules' could be sensible when applied in the 'one true' data model scenario where a cautious approach can be useful, though any incremental development usually means amend of the original data model or code ... having an underpowered data model adds magnitude of effort in the code. So where do you put the technical debt ?

I've found having an 'onion skin' approach to data modelling using derived schema that perfectly service each layer (with no knowledge required of layers underneath) one way to distribute maintenance costs and get the right balance of flexibility. Conversely, putting in such abstractions up front tend to complicate grokking of said data model in its simplest instance ... oh well,those days I daydream about what a schema language, for XML, could have looked like, then move on.

Attempting to 'get it right' for all concerns is where my data models fail as I can't see enough 'moves ahead' to predict what will be required in the future, so I try to be cautious, but more importantly I try to make the data model fit for single purpose.

Jim Fuller