Re: [xml-dev] Develop a theory of one's data prior to developing adata model (XML vocabulary)?

TEI hero Len Burnard from Oxford Uni said something like "every dtd represents a theory about the document".  (Credible schema developers/Content Architects need a good knowledge of major different approaches IMHO, otherwise the implicit theory will be "whatever comes to mind first is good enough".) See Len's ppt Myths and Realities.

Some domains do have quite good theories: for example, that complete news story needs to have a who, what, when, where and how or why.   Yesterday at the White House, Mr Obama eased relations with Cuba by executive order, because people need to smoke more cigars. But that kind of theory does not lend itself to regular grammars well: every document needs at least one "who" element, but it could be anywhere in the document...   Where you have domain-specific elements embedded into general paragraph-oriented text markup, you need a second-level schema for the domain requirements.

Another source of theory is Standards.  For example,  iso9126 gives abstract software quality characteristics: you could use those in, say, a schema for software requirements.

Of course, there are various published generic approaches to data and document analysis. Maler and el Adoloussi's Information Units for example; my cookbook/reuse aproach.

But are you asking the wrong question? Do we need theories of data domains, or do we more need theories of developers? Should we be asking: how should documents be marked up so that developers wont make mistakes, or can quickly understand what is meant, or can quickly drill into the data, or dont need to do lots of transformations/joins in the typical or worst case? You only have data because you have software.

Cheers
Rick