Re: [xml-dev] XML Universe ?

On Sun, 2015-03-29 at 11:17 -0700, Dimitre Novatchev wrote:
>  Has anyone thought about unifying all available XML documents into a
> single repository?

I fear even just for static documents you'd need more disk space than
is easily avaiable :-) I know of people with petabytes of XML.

If you include XML documents generated by car engine computers and Web
services there's more XML in the world than HTML.

> This would provide many benefits to XML practitioners, and in
> general could be used as an "XML data-warehouse" and allow BI for
> querying and acquiring interesting and unknown facts about XML.

Someone I think in Amsterdam made a collection of a few Web documents,
I think just 10 gigabytes or something; I looked at it in some detail
and even did a Balisage paper about this, because there was talk going
round that said that it showed a high proportion of XML on the Web
wasn't well-formed. It turned out that if you handled the document
encoding properly the documents were almost all just fine. But at any
rate that collection was on the Web last time I checked.

Liam