Re: [xml-dev] XML Universe ?

On 03/29/2015 07:17 PM, Dimitre Novatchev wrote:
> Has anyone thought about unifying all available XML documents into a
> single repository?

Funny, I just had a student ask me the same thing this morning. I was
doing a session on XML for the Digital Arts & Humanities graduate
students, and one of them wanted to know if there was somewhere they
could go to search all the accumulated XML documents to see what was
there. They were specifically thinking about TEI, of course, but
nevertheless...

> This would provide many benefits to XML practitioners, and in general
> could be used as an "XML data-warehouse" and allow BI for querying
> and acquiring interesting and unknown facts about XML.

Whatever about disk space, I guess it might be possible if you had
separate repositories for each cluster of vocabularies. Start with the
popular and widely-known (eg DocBook, DITA, TEI, etc) and add more. Or
tackle it on a vertical-application basis, which is essentially the same
idea.

> Examples of such queries:

[snip]

8. What is the distribution of the proportion of markup to pcdata (in
bytes)?

> Among other benefits, such a repository would provide for real-world
> XML test data, when writing tests for a new XML processing
> application.

If we can find someone to pony up for the resources...

///Peter