Re: [xml-dev] What constitutes a "markup language"? What is an"information exchange language"? When do data exchanges not exchangeinformation?

On Fri, 2015-05-01 at 12:48 +0000, Costello, Roger L. wrote:

> XML is a markup language, JSON is not.

Mike Kay has answred this; agreed.

> XML is an information exchange language,
> whereas JSON is an object exchange language.

I said this in a social context -- that is, to try and illustrate a
diffrence in the way in which XML and JSON are often used.

> Here's a valid JSON instance:
>
> [1 ,2, 3]
>
> That's a JSON array, not a JSON object. So how can one legitimately >
call JSON an object exchange language?

Because it can be used to dump objects and to recussitate them, much
as JavaBeans can be used in to dump objects in XML and revive them
(without object identity) later.

The point I was failing to make was that JSON is aimed at developers
and API designers, not at (textual) document authors.

Liam