Re: [xml-dev] Normalizing and signing XML -- Xoxa

At 2015-05-27 14:34 +0100, Norman Gray wrote:
Normalising and signing XML is a well-known pain in the neck.
I think I disagree with that statement.

I undertook a project to sign UBL documents and inject into the UBL instance the scaffolding with which to contain its digital signature. Features include adding multiple signatures and adding a "final" signature (such that at that point no further signatures can be added) [1].

I also recently created the library to sign BDE documents, that don't need scaffolding and simply put the digital signature at the end of the document (thus the library works with any XML document that accepts digital signatures as the last children of the document element) [2].

For both of these projects I used the free library:

https://www.aleksey.com/xmlsec/

Given that the library exists and is free, I didn't find it a pain-in-the-neck at all.

XML DigSig is hard because XML Canonicalization is hard
What evidence do you cite for that? You state it in your blog post, but I'm trying to find out what it is that is considered to be hard to do.

This isn't an idle question: I've never implemented canonicalization because I'm using it off-the-shelf, so I honestly don't know the answer myself to the question ... what is so hard about canonicalization? When I looked at the specification long ago it seemed straightforward to me.

You say ...

; and that's hard because, I think, it's happening at the wrong level (lexical rather than structural).
... and ...?  I don't see any explication of that statement.

I believe it's possible to define an alternative canonicalization...
Possible, sure ... but alternatives are always difficult to elbow out established and already-implemented specifications that don't fail.

which accepts a larger range of input documents as equivalent
Hopefully provided that the content of the information set is not different ... if two different infosets are considered equivalent, won't there be integrity issues? If the infosets are the same, why use something other than the infoset? Where is the difficulty with working with the infoset?

I just read the Gutmann paper you cited ... parts are disingenuous. Reading the following "Much more worrying though is the fact that at the semantic level XML, like MS Word, consists of highly dynamic content, but about two orders of magnitude more complex than Word." near the start of the document immediately throws me off his perspective. I disagree right there. I don't think well-formed XML has semantics (other than inherent hierarchical relationships) and I don't think DTD-valid XML has very many semantics (other than referential integrity). I believe XML defines syntax and users define semantics.

And that lead me to read the James Clark blog post that cites, among other things, about the awkwardness of signing things other than XML when combined with XML ... but I see that as out of scope of your post today. Your post today is talking about the signing of an XML document, not a combination of XML and other stuff (or did I miss something?).

, and which has fewer bells and whistles (and gongs and bugles), but which is much simpler both to define and to implement. I describe that in a preprint at arXiv [2], and it's illustratively implemented in both C and Java in a library called Xoxa[3]

I've expanded on this in a blog-post at <http://text.nxg.me.uk/2015/b65m>.
Your "normalization" looks a lot like James Clark's NSGMLS output ... was that your inspiration? I've used that in my "n2x" free resource that converts SGML to XML [3].

How much of an XML processor is needed to create your normalization? If one needs a conformant XML processor in order to create your normalization, how is it making things that much simpler than working with the infoset? I thought a SAX processor gives one an infoset, and you are talking about using SAX.

I'd be very interested in thoughts from ... xml-dev.
I think it would be a challenge to justify moving away from the established standards.

If two parties wish to do whatever they want with your specification or with any other non-standard way of expressing an XML document as being signed, that is up to those involved. But there already exists a deployed solution for standalone XML documents.

I hope this is considered constructive.

[1] http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/resources/ubl/#digsig
[2] http://www.cranesoftwrights.com/resources/#dsig
[3] http://www.cranesoftwrights.com/resources/#n2x