Re: [xml-dev] Use-cases are the bane of orthogonality

Hi Mike,

I agree with you on this.

I think that, in the bigger picture, this tension between use cases
and orthogonality is also (or should be) reflected in how projects are
managed and how discussions with customers or the product manager are
driven.

A customer has needs, concrete problems and use cases to solve. I
think that there is, in addition to solving these, some kind of duty
to this same customer to make sure that the implementation has as much
orthogonality as possible, and to take the time to deeply understand
what the use cases really mean on a more abstract level -- even if it
may have the appearance of a short-term conflict. On the longer term,
it saves time, effort, as well as the customer's money.

It's Henry Ford saying "If I had asked people what they wanted, they
would have said faster horses.”

Kind regards,
Ghislain