Re: [xml-dev] The String Datatype is the Worst Datatype Ever Created

Actually, on further reflection, I remembered why I quit using Java to process XML.

Joshua Bloch's Effective Java gave really similar advice about programming Java - enumerations over strings, strict structures over variable structures, and so on.  About halfway through the book I realized I was carving myself out a personal exception to all of those things, so sat down to look at my code.

Was I crazy?  (Well, maybe that's a separate question.)

My conclusion, though, was that that his set of recommendations might make sense in a strictly programming context, but they were counter-productive for dealing with the rich possibilities of XML and markup generally.

So sure, yes, you can do this.  It probably just isn't appropriate to the practice of markup.

Thanks,
Simon