Re: [xml-dev] Converting JSON to XML ... how to deal with control characters present in the JSON?

Have you looked to see how XSLT 3.0 does it?

The current spec at http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt-30/#func-json-to-xml has moved on a bit since last external publication, but the general idea has remained the same. It essentially gives you three options:

(a) Generate a backslash-based escape sequence, e.g. \u0000, and mark the relevant element in the XML as escaped=“yes”.

(b) Substitute with xFFFD

(c) Call a user-supplied fallback function

Michael Kay
Saxonica