Re: [xml-dev] SGML default attributes.

Gosh, Eliot, I granted all your points, and then you reiterated those points, as if I hadn't acknowledged them.  You are talking right past me, as if I'm not speaking.  Maybe it's this crazy election season, in which the repetitious utterance of talking points is somehow considered to be evidence of communication.

For me, "Entities are evil" is itself an evil meme.  It should not be propagated, especially not in favor of the idea that ...

since every DITA element
ultimately  maps back to a base type defined in the DITA standard
the authors of the DITA standard are implicitly the root arbiters of all identity.

On 05/04/2016 04:15 PM, Eliot Kimber wrote:

> Entities are string macros.

No, they are declarations in which names become the handles of the thing identified, which in some form or fashion identifies the abstraction that the name will thereafter be considered to invoke.

> I should clarify: it's not just that entities don't have identity but that
> they are not *objects* in the way that elements are. That is, they do not
> have identity in the parsed result, certainly not in any commonly-used XML
> processing environment (e.g., XSLT, XQuery, DOM 1 or 2, etc.).

Maybe I should just let the last word be yours, and leave it at that.

Steve