Re: [xml-dev] SGML default attributes.

If you look at an environment like PubMed, where you have many
loosely-governed and coordinated publishers contributing documents that
are all supposed to be in the same document type you start to see the
problem. They are all (or mostly all) DTD valid. Many claim to be valid to
the JATS or NLM DTD, but they have modified these DTDs locally. Many have
modified the DTDs and given them new public IDs (as they should) but then
there's no way to know what they really are. It's a mess that the
engineering team at PubMed went to heroic efforts to try to manage through
transforms and so forth. It's a direct result of thinking that the DTD
means something in terms of conformance to some larger document type as
well as the lack of controlled extension mechanism.

If you're just creating documents for yourself or only within the scope of
a small organization or enterprise then of course the problem doesn't
arise.

But if you're building a content management system or a hypertext system
or a publishing system like PubMed or a general-purpose authoring
environment or you're loose confederation of a 100 enterprises like IBM
then it's a big problem.

Of course, I could also say that at the end of the day it all comes down
to trust and no amount of technology can completely eliminate the need for
trust and communication.

DITA's not adding indirection--there's no practical expectation that
processors will go from @domains values to grammars for validation.
There's still a practical expectation that documents will have associated
grammars correctly configured with the appropriate modules' contributions.

What DITA's doing is saying "the definition of the abstract document type
and the essential DITAness of the document" is completely divorced from
any grammars used for validation. And in particular, we don't care *at
all* what public ID or URI you happen use for your external DTD subset or
XSD or RELAX NG grammar because it doesn't matter. As long as I can
resolve the reference I can validate and as long as I get @domains and
@class attributes I can understand and process the content.

And just to be clear: because DITA depends on all these magic attributes
it's also a practical requirement to have grammars that provide attribute
defaults. So in practice DITA documents for authoring have grammars
because why would you not. My point is that they are not *required* and
even then they are used *we don't care what strings you use to address the
storage objects that contain them*.

Cheers,

Eliot

----