Re: [xml-dev] SGML default attributes.

On 7 May 2016 15:30:06 Steve Newcomb <srn@coolheads.com> wrote:

[...]
> BTW, you don't have to be ISO to style yourself as an authority suitable
> to be cited in a formal public identifier (FPI).  Anybody can do that.

I think it cost us $90 to register Silmaril with the [then] GCA as ISO9070 Registrar.

> It's interesting that, according to
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formal_Public_Identifier, W3C has never
> registered the owner identifier it uses for itself, "W3C".

I did ask them at the time why they hadn't registered and the answer was that they saw no merit in it (read, couldn't be bothered).

If that's
> true, I guess W3C recognizes only its own notation-universe's authority
> for owner identification, rejecting that of the United Nations.

"Couldn't be bothered" may hold true here too. Or maybe the thought of spending $90 bothered them.

///Peter