Re: [xml-dev] Dealing with lots of chunks of highly interrelateddata?

To expand on what Steve said: you've basically set up a false dichotomy,
because "vanilla XML" has no (useful) mechanism for representing
relationships among XML elements other than hierarchical ones. [I'm
ignoring the ID/IREF mechanism in XML because (A) it has no built-in
semantics and (B) it's insufficiently complete as an addressing mechanism
to even be the basis for more general link representation. So basically
any addressing mechanism will necessarily be a layer added on top of the
base XML syntax, whether it's XPointer or URIs or something else.]

So any use of XML to represent relationships among things will necessarily
be a semantic application on top of the base XML content. But that is true
of *any* non-trivial XML application.

XML, as a serialization of structured objects, is just a data format for
objects that are themselves projections of more abstract objects, whether
those objects are documents (in the publishing sense) or airplanes, their
parts, the actors that operate on those things, and the events those
actors caused to happen.

That is, any non-trival XML application always becomes a system of
interrelated things. Whether you call it a hyperdocument or a database is
really just a matter of perspective or emphasis: fundamentally it is a set
of things linked together for some reason.

To manage such a data set you need some kind of data management
technology. Whether that's a relational database or a triple store or a
box full of index cards is entirely an implementation decision.

If you need to interchange and interoperate on this data then certainly
trying to use applicable standards makes sense, assuming applicable
standards exist.

One challenge with standardization in this realm is that beyond the
details of addressing (e.g., URIs and fragment identifiers) and object
representation, everything else becomes very much application specific,
such that the standardization cost is high and the practical value of
standardization is relatively low beyond enabling basic data processing
(e.g., resolving references, correctly recognizing or inferring
relationships, managing the structured objects that are related) as the
scope of the application becomes more general. The actual semantic
processing is going to always require specialized processing and the more
specialized it is the less useful (or even possible) it is to standardize.

If you look at something like RDF or Topic Maps, they let you represent
relationships and you can *state* any set of relationships you like to any
degree of precision you want. But they say nothing about how you
*understand* the statements: understanding is the domain of knowledge
processing, that is, intelligence, artificial or otherwise. Understanding
can be embodied in code (that is, I can write data processing applications
that understand a given set of relationships as applied to a known set of
object types for a given purpose) but that is a far cry from having some
sort of general-purpose system that can take an arbitrary set of generic
relationship instances and tell you something both true and useful about
them.

In the context of the application you described, that sounds like a pretty
work-a-day relational application to which it might be useful to apply
additional taxonomies or ontologies that allow for discovery or inference,
but that is because the scope is pretty narrow and it's therefore
practical to define *agreed upon* data models, relationship types,
taxonomies, and ontologies. Given that, it's then relatively easy to do
data processing with whatever technology makes the most implementation
sense at the moment. Whether that's RDF-and-OWL or Topic Maps or DITA
subject scheme maps or ad-hoc processing using Xquery doesn't really
matter: that's an implementation detail.

If the goal for this particular data set is to enable interchange and
interoperation of the data *and the processing* then somebody will need to
standardize the data model abstractions, the governing taxonomies and
ontologies, the relationship type models, the population constraints, the
business rules, etc. That is, they will need to define the application to
a sufficient degree of detail that it is realistic to expect different
implementations to provide compatible behavior.

To answer your question about validation: XML Schema is not sufficient for
validating this data because it has no mechanism (beyond XSD 1.1
assertions) to validate either the semantics of relationships (e.g., Is
relationship of type X correctly applied to objects of type A and B with
specific property sets K and J?). One can imagine such a language but it
would start to look like a programming language...

The answer to your last question must be "true" simply because XSD is not
capable of validating such as system (if by "validate" we mean check the
semantic, population, and business rule constraints).

Cheers,

Eliot

----
Eliot Kimber, Owner