A schema defines a state space ... instances are sample states ... doyou agree with this terminology?

Hi Folks,

Here is a simple schema:

<xs:schema xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema";>
    <xs:element name="color">
        <xs:simpleType>
            <xs:restriction base="xs:string">
                <xs:enumeration value="red" />
                <xs:enumeration value="green" />
                <xs:enumeration value="blue" />
            </xs:restriction>
        </xs:simpleType>
    </xs:element>
</xs:schema>

Here is an instance: <color>red</color>

Here is another instance: <color>green</color>

Terminology:

1. The XML Schema defines a state space.

2. The instances shown are sample states.

Do you agree with this terminology?

I am reading a book [1] on modeling and "state space, sample states" is the terminology that the book uses. It dawned on me that the terminology also applies to the XML realm.

/Roger

[1] Software Abstractions: Logic, Language, and Analysis by Daniel Jackson