XML.orgXML.org

RE: [xml-dev] What is a “data model”?

  A data model in the first sense is the set

  of constructs (complex types, simple types,

  element declarations, attribute declarations,

  etc.) defined in the XML Schema specification.

  A data model in the second sense is a particular

  XML Schema. For example, the Geography

  Markup Language (GML) XML Schema is a

  data model in the second sense.

Thank you Michael and Jim.

As I look through the XML Schema specification I see no UML diagrams.

As I look through the GML specification I see many UML diagrams.

Are UML diagrams not relevant/useful for data models in the first sense? Are UML diagrams only relevant/useful for data models in the second sense?

/Roger